The Government of Nepal approved the Mountaineering Expedition Regulation- 2059 (2002 A.D.) to replace the 1979 Regulation, which was amended in 1984 and 1985. Highlights of the 2002 regulation follow:
- Minimum age for climbers is 16 years.
- Royalty for a 1-climber Everest expedition from Southeast ridge route reduced from US $70,000 to US $25,000 to attract more mountaineers.
- You do not need a recommendation letter from your country’s alpine club for climbing inNepal.
- Mountaineering is season independent activity. Earlier, mountaineering permits were valid for spring, autumn or winter seasons.
- The garbage management deposit varies from $500 to 4,000 for mountaineering expeditions.
If you know Nepali, read the new mountaineering regulation at http://www.tourism.gov.np/uploaded/pdf/mountaineering-regulation-2059-nep.pdf.