In 2011, Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) received 1,100,000 tourists. This year the state plans to attract 2, 000, 000 tourists. To meet the tourist arrival target and ensure professionalism, the state government introduced a new campaign, “Preparation for Tourist Season 2012,” in March 2012 and the following initiatives:
- “Quick Response Mechanism (QRM)” will facilitate the travelers and tourists after they arrive in the state. The Tourism Department and airlines will coordinate to reduce the time spent by visitors at the airport. The department will make necessary entry forms available through the airlines. Initially, Srinagar and Jammu airports, and the surface entry gateways at Lower Munda and Lakhanpur will implement the mechanism.
- The government also planned monthly festivals.
- Rock climbing at Tourist Reception Centre in Nowgam
- Light and sound shows at Hari Parbat and Shalimar Garden
- Free porter service at the airports to transport the tourist luggage
- The travel and tour operators based in the Kashmir Valley will jointly work for tourism promotion.