Sikkim Tourism Policy 2010. Tourism Department, Government of Sikkim, angtok. http://www.sikkimtourism.travel/Webforms/General/pdf/Sikkim_Tourism_Policy_10.pdf
Tag line of the Sikkim Tourism Policy 2010 is “Tourism touches everyone.” The policy document elaborated on different aspects of the state tourism sector.Sikkim, referred to as Adventure State in the document, has huge potential for adventure tourism for which demand is already increasing. The document claimed that adventure activity-based tourism would help the state in becoming an all season destination. To promote adventure tourism, the department proposed an array of measures. For instance,
- Give emphasis on domestic adventure tourism.
- Draft a detailed adventure tourism plan.
- The state opens more areas for adventure tourists.
- Build skiing centers at Kupuk and Yumethang.
- The state intended to use “Experience Unique Sikkim Himalaya” (EUSH) brand to promote adventure tourism.
- The state is promoting mountain climbing, mountaineering, rock climbing, trekking, white water rafting and other adventure activities.
- Sikkimset up the Indian Himalayan Center for Adventure & Eco-Tourism (IHCAE). The center is promoting adventure-eco-wellness tourism as “Feel Good School” brand.
- The state proposed a number of projects for solid waste management, infrastructure and basic facilities, and some of the projects have already been started. Read the full list of measures suggested to promote adventure tourism.