Since Uttarakhand lies in fragile lap of the Himalayas, the Rule 24 of the Uttarakhand River Rafting / Kayaking Rules 2014 defines the following environment safety standards:
- Conserve wild life and entire eco-system (Rule 24-a).
- Dispose garbage in designated places or pits (Rule 24-b).
- Do not dispose garbage in the rivers (Rule 24-b).
- Do not consume plastic and polythene (Rule 24-c).
- Dump empty cans, bottles, and other non-degradable substances in municipality waste bins and use an appropriate disposal method (Rule 24-d).
- Do not use detergent (soap) in rivers, springs, and streams (Rule 24-e).
- Do not play electronic entertainment gadgets, including radios and tape recorders, at high volume (Rule 24-f).
- Do not collect cuttings, roots, and seeds of plants and trees. These collections are illegal (Rule 24-g).
All kayaking and rafting operators shall comply with all these standards.