Nepal Mountain Academy (N.M.A.) introduced 4-year Bachelor of Mountaineering Studies (B.M.S.) in 2017. The multidisciplinary course includes management studies, mountaineering, mountain tourism, pure science, and social science modules.
Who can join the course?
Admission prerequisites are slightly different for Nepali and non-Nepali aspirants.
- 10+2 or an equivalent certificate from the boards recognized by Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- Minimum qualifying marks: >=45% marks or Cumulative Grade Points Average (C.G.P.A) grade = D+ (1.8)
- Studied English as a compulsory subject in 10+2
- High school certificate
- Curriculum vitae and a 500-word letter of motivation
- Certificate of English as a compulsory subject until high school
- International English Language Testing System (I.E.L.T.S) score >=6 (If English was not working language.)
- Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) score >=60 (If English was not working language.)
- Join two months foundation course to learn basic Nepali language and mountaineering fundamentals and prepare for Central Management Admission Test (CMAT).
Both Group of Students
- Clear a multistage entry test
- Stage 1: Score at least 40 marks in CMAT conducted by Tribhuvan University. The objective test assesses the prospects on general awareness, logical reasoning, quantitative ability, and verbal ability.
- Stage 2: Get through group discussions organized by N.M.A.
- Stage 3: Clear physical fitness test.
- Stage 4: Pass Personal interview.
Why should I join B.M.S.?
The course with lofty ambitions imparts operational and theoretical knowledge about varied aspects of various mountain ranges, including Himalayas.
The undergraduate course provides an opportunity for internship at well-established organizations of Nepal.
The course prepares the students for ten professions:
- Climate, Environment, Topography Researcher
- Event, Expedition, Travel, Tour Manager
- Government and non-government services
- Mountain Economist
- Mountain Geologist
- Mountaineer, Mountaineering Guide, Mountaineering Leader
- National, International Lecturer
The select students would climb a hexa- and septa-thousander in the last year of the course. The academy would bear the cost of climbs, NPR 900,000 (₹559,876 / US$7,844)+ excluding personal expenses.
B.M.S. is the prerequisite to join Master of Adventure Tourism Studies (MATS) that would be launched soon. It is good for aspiring adventure tourism academicians.
The academy will bear cost of the fieldwork, except personal expenses, for the last two years of the course. The fieldwork includes cultural tours, rock climbing, trekking, trekking peak expedition….
Extraordinarily high student teacher ratio: 1:30.
What is the tuition fee?
Nepali students: NPR* 600,000 (₹373,250 / US$5,229)+
SAARC students: NPR* 800,000 (₹497,667 / US$6,972)+
Other students: NPR* 1,200,000 (₹746,500 / US$10,459)+
*Nepali Rupees (NPR).
+Conversion is based on the forex rates collected from www.xe.com on November 9, 2019.
Does the academy offer financial support?
There is a provision for scholarships that contribute 25% or 50% of the tuition fee. But these schemes with rigid selection criteria are mainly for different sections of the Nepali society.
How many students are in one batch?
Where can I find more information?
Check the official website of the academy. http://man.gov.np/page/31/academics/bachelor_of_mountaineering_studies_bms