Do Himalayas Have Competition?

Not yet!

But the mountaineers draw a parallel between the Himalayas (Asia) and the mountains of Kluane National Park, the Himalayas of Canada (Canada’s Himalayas).

The Orient compares beauty of the Himalayas with its shorter and older cousin Alps to attract tourists and travelers. For example, many places in the Himalayas are nicknamed as Switzerland of Asia / India and so forth. But the vice versa is rare. That is why it is a proud moment for the Orient. The Himalayas are being considered as a yardstick for the loftiness and the mountain wilderness.

The park, inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage Site list, is home to the tallest peak of Canada, Mount Logan (5,959 meters). However, the mountain needs to grow 2,889 meters more to match its Asian cousin. This vertical growth would take millions of years.

But these cousins share the following characteristics:

  • Young mountain ranges
  • Ongoing mountain building processes
  • Two biggest ice fields outside the poles
  • Lands of extremes
  • The Arctic and the Pacific air masses meet over the park, creating conditions for growth of diverse flora and fauna. On the other hand, wide variation in the altitude of the Himalayas support sub-tropical to arctic climatic conditions, creating diverse wilderness.
  • Once upon a time indigenous dwellers of both the mountain ranges religiously followed nomadic lifestyle to survive seasonal vagaries. Nowadays, lifestyle is however changing.
  • Popular trekking destinations


Only 20% of the park has vegetation cover. The remaining 80% is an abode of ice and snow. The tree line is located at about 1,100 meters and beyond which dwarf shrubs of alder, birch, and willows dominate the scenery. The Alpine tundra takes over at about 1,400 meters.

The park, covering about 22,000-square-kilometer area in the southwest Yukon, is home to bears and Dall sheep.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *