7 Porter-Hiring Tips for Expeditions to H.P.
Porters play an important role in success of an adventure expedition. While hiring porters for the expedition to Himachal Pradesh (H.P.), consider the following rules defined in the Himachal Pradesh Climbing / Trekking Porters (Regulation Of Employment) Act, 1977:
- Porters shall be registered with the Mountaineering Institute Manali, Kullu District.
- Since the institute maintains a register of eligible porters, you can contact it.
- The institute issues an identity card to fit and registered porters.
- There are three (3) classes of porters: A, B and C.
- Class A porters may participate in all climbing / trekking expeditions irrespective of altitude.
- Class B porters can join the expeditions going up to 19,000 feet (5,758 meters).
- Class C porters are eligible for the expeditions visiting up to 13,500 feet (4,090 meters).